It’s no secret to the residents of Fernie and the surrounding valley that we’re truly lucky for the legendary powder that we receive each winter.
Last year’s winter was one for the records; not for it’s abundance of snow, but rather lack of. We wanted to wake up every morning and open our curtains to snow blanketing the cars and streets, to only discover that the pavement from the road was showing once again. Although frustrations were seen throughout the season, there were a few powder days to be had at Fernie Alpine Resort. With the resort set to open on Friday, December 4th for the 2015/16 season – the countdown is on (and the anticipation is growing!)
Fernie’s been featured all over the world both through online and print media. Recently it was featured by Buzzfeed on their Top 10 Canadian Mountain Towns to visit this winter. As Buzzfeed says “Fernie has all the rustic small-town charm you could hope for when coming to vacation in British Columbia. This quaint ski town has no shortage of inviting cabins and chalets to warm yourself up in after a long day of skiing at the Fernie Alpine Resort. Explore the town and get lost in the historic downtown, which has become a popular filming location (because just look at it!).” We couldn’t agree more!
Besides the great riding at Fernie Alpine Resort, there’s plenty more to do! Here’s a list of other winter activities to try when you’re in Fernie.
- Visit the Fernie Museum located in downtown Fernie; learn more about the culture, legends and residents who have shaped this community
- Go on Snow Shoe Safari with Wild Nature Tours
- Get a delicious dessert from Crumbs Cakery & Cafe in historic downtown
- Hit the Stoke Folk the Party featuring Shred Kelly on January 30th
- Catch the local hockey team, the Fernie Ghostriders at the Fernie Memorial Arena www.fernieghostriders.com ($10)
- Stop into the Fernie Brewing Company for some sampling of their award winning beers and even take a brewery tour
- In December celebrate the festivities with the Arts Station’s What The Dickens
- For the more adventurous (and big spender) – a day of cat skiing with Fernie Wilderness Adventures
- Try the rock climbing wall at Evolution Fitness located directly next door to the lodge
- Treat yourself to a day the spa with one of Spa 901‘s relaxing packages
- Dine at one of Fernie’s unique restaurants including Nevados, Yamagoya, Curry Bowl, The Brickhouse and more
- Rent some gear from Gear Hub and try a new sport like fat biking
- Catch live music happening at The Arts Station, The Royal and The Northern all winter long
- Get a pair of skates and do some ice skating on the Annex Pond, Maiden Lake and even the Fernie Memorial Arena
- Celebrate mountain culture, fragile environments and the passion of explorers in the Fernie Mountain Film Festival happening in February