The fourth annual Cardboard Boat Race returns for a splashing good time on Maiden Lake!
Open to anyone who would like to enter or just head on over to Maiden Lake behind Independent Grocers and watch the fun!
- All ‘boats’ must be build from only non-waxed cardboard, tape and paint.
- Maximum 25% of surface area can be duct-tape.
- Any size vessel and any number of crew allowed.
- All paddlers must wear a PFD.
- Competitors will paddle across the lake, switch paddlers and then then return to the beach. First boat back wins the race!
Boat inspection is at 10.30am and race starts at 11am. No need to pre-register, just show up with your aquatic craft and crew ready to go! All paddlers are required to fill out a waiver – be sure to allow time to do this on arrival.
After the event make sure to enjoy all the Canada Day activities and entertainment at Fernie City Hall.
Celebrate Canada Day at the biggest party in town!
Canada Day events will be held at City Hall grounds,
Afternoon events kick off at Noon at the City Hall grouds, and continue until dusk.
- NOON-5PM – Mountain Market Open
- 1PM – Canada Day Festivities Begin – Singing of O’Canada and start of live entertainment
- 1:15PM – Annual Bike & Pet Parade
- 1:15PM – Cake Cutting & Refreshments
- 1:30PM – Total Maintenance Train Rides
- 2PM – Kids Bike Demos & Race
- 3PM – Dog Agility Demos
- DUSK – Fireworks (around 9:30PM, can be as late as 10-10:30 due to light levels)
All day Food & Refreshments.
Kids Zone: Bouncy houses, sandbox, games, crafts, gymnastics demo, facepainting.
The market will be set up in the main plaza from 10am to 2pm and will include a variety of vendors.
The Fernie Mountain Market is regularly held weekly in Rotary Park during July and August, and at the Canada Day Celebrations on July 1st.
After exploring the market stay around and enjoy bonus weekend at Fernie Alpine Resort:
Your summer of fun starts here!
2019 Full Operations Season:
Opening Day: Saturday, June 22nd. Open daily until September 3rd
- Elk Chair: Daily from 10:30am-4:30pm & until 7pm on Thursdays
Fernie Alpine Resort’s Summer Activities and Attractions include:
- Mountain biking at Fernie Bike Park with 37 marked trails from beginner to expert featuring berms, bridges, ladders, stunts, bumps and flowy downhill rides, lift access and XC trails
- Full service resort rentals featuring SCOTT Voltage FR 720 & SCOTT Junior Voltage Downhill bikes, pads & helmets
- Bike clinics, camps, lessons, and events, including the SCOTT Thursday Night Race Series.
- Guided hiking
- Resort Hiking Trails
- Scenic chairlift rides
- Aerial Park with highropes, treetop bridges, and mini ziplines; plus free kids mini-park
- Nature Bob’s Interpretive Centre
- Kids Outdoor Adventure Camps, Freeride Camps & Mountaintop Sleepovers – see the Events Calendar
Praise be – the legendary Reverend Horton Heat returns to Fernie!
With support from Bloodshot Bill, The Delta Bombers and The Hooten Hallers.
The Reverend Horton Heat is a psychobilly trio from Texas with a large and fervent following. Jim Heath has been hailed as the godfather of modern rockabilly and psychobilly. The band describes itself as “country-fed punkabilly,” mixing country, surf, punk, big band, swing and rockabilly into loud, energetic songs with often-humorous lyrics. Video games, cartoons and commercials have used the band’s songs, giving The Reverend Horton Heat mainstream exposure.
An endurance race with a twist – strategy, fuel management, and teamwork will all matter here.
Back by popular demand, The Lone Wolf is a trail running challenge in Fernie, BC. A simple, fun, looped race. But there’s a catch. Racers start together on the hour as a pack, needing to finish the loop within the hour. As when the next hour strikes, the race starts again, in the opposite direction. The goal? To complete as many loops as you can.
2018 was a great test event, and you can expect similar in 2019. A beautiful, manageable, single track loop, with moderate elevation gain. Around the 7km mark, it will on paper seem easy enough to complete within the cutoff time, however pacing and tactics will come into play as the day goes on. And on.
The loop will be washing-machine style – heading clockwise, then counterclockwise, then clockwise and so on. Racers need to make it back to base before the hour cutoff, and be ready to start the loop again, on the hour. If you miss the cutoff, you’re out and you remain in the den.
With a well-stocked aid station, easy logistics for one drop bag at base, and the opportunity to race as a Lone Wolf (solo), Coyotes (2-person team), Cougars (2-person team combined age of >80) or Pups (2-person team combined age of 32 or under), the race caters to a variety of runners, with a variety of goals. Treat it as a training run for the upcoming season. A chance to practice your race and fuel management. Challenge yourself to do one more loop than you thought you could. Or simply to have a great day on the trails, running, cheering and supporting fellow runners.
Whatever your goal, it promises a fantastic atmosphere, with sweet swag, prizing and Fernie Brewing Co. beer (Lone Wolf IPA of course). Alpha Males and Female Lone Wolves will be crowned, with prizing for top three in all team categories (female, male and mixed).
So, think you can outrun the pack and become The Lone Wolf?
- ‘Last Man Standing’ format, easy enough to complete within the cutoff time for most, however pacing and tactics will come into play as the day goes on.
- Single track loop, approx 6.5km with 240m elevation gain.
- Racers will have 1 hour to complete the loop and be ready to start the next loop on the hour. If you miss the cutoff, you’re out and you remain in the den.
- The loop will be washing-machine style – heading clockwise, then counterclockwise, then clockwise and so on.
- Start/Finish DEN location: Elk Valley Nordic Centre, 500 Mt Fernie Park Road.
- Race Route details will be announced on Friday evening to avoid any home racer advantages!
- Well-stocked aid station.
- Easy logistics for one drop bag at base.
Racer options & entry fees:
- Lone Wolf (solo) $95pp, limited to 140 runners
- Coyotes (2-person team) $190 per team, limited to 25 teams
- Cougars (2-person team combined age of >80) $190 per team, limited to 25 teams
- Pups (2-person team combined age of 32 or under) $60 per team, limited to 10 teams
So, think you can outrun the pack and become The Lone Wolf?
Entry: REGISTER NOW OPEN!
- The Lone Wolf Swag
- Fully stocked Aid Station
- Finishers Medal
- FBC finishers Lone Wolf IPA
- Top 3 Prizing
- Draw prizes
Free golfing and activities for residents of the Elk Valley & area.
- Play 5 holes, 9 holes or all 18 holes for free
- Free use of the driving range
- Games and contests on the driving range for adults and kids
- Kids games on our practice putting green
- Reduced rates on equipment rental
- Cart tours of the golf course by our maintenance staff
General Manager Max Sherwood and CPGA assistant professional Kenneth Maki look forward to welcoming you on the course this summer.
2019 EVENT SCHEDULE:
All tournaments listed below are open to the public, except where noted
All dates and times are subject to change
For full details, tournament rules and info, please contact the pro-shop
- Saturday 13th: Driving Range Open!
- Thursday 9th: Ping Demo Day, 3-7pm
- Tuesday 14th: Ladies Opening, 6 pm shotgun, Format TBA
- Thursday 16th: Seniors Opening, 9am Tee times, Stroke Play – 2 flights
- Tuesday 21st: Cobra Demo Day, 2-6pm
- Wednesday 22nd: Mens Opening, 5 pm shotgun, Format TBA
- Sunday 9th: Junior Open, Noon Tee times, Stroke Play
- Sunday 9th: Community Day, Afternoon
- Saturday 22nd: Callaway Demo Day
- Wednesday 26th: Men’s Special, 5pm Shotgun
- Thursday 4th: Tony Servello Senior Open, 10am Shotgun, Stroke Play
- Saturday 20th-Sunday 21st: Fernie Open, 2 Day Combined Stroke Play
- Wednesday 24th: Men’s Special, 5pm Shotgun, Format TBA
- Saturday 10th: Two-Person Tournament (formerly He/She), 1 pm Tee times, 2 Round Stroke Play
- (CLUB EVENT: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th: Club Championship-Member’s Open)
- Wednesday 28th: Men’s Speical, 5pm Shotgun, Format TBA
- Sunday 22nd: Ladies Closing, 1 pm shotgun, Format TBA
- Thursday 26th: Senior Closing, Noon Shotgun, Net Stroke Play
- Sunday 29th: Men’s Closing, Noon shotgun, Format TBA
- Sunday 6th: Ironman Open, 12 noon shotgun, Format TBA
- Monday 7th: Turkey Tombstone, 12 noon shotgun, Tombstone Format
Untamed Kootenays returns for 2019 at the spectacular Island Lake Lodge.
Experience Fernie’s culinary talent with a weekend of local flavours and fares for the 3rd annual Untamed Kootenays culinary event. During the weekend, the Tamarack Dining Room will welcome food lovers to dine on lodge-made gourmet meals, created with an abundance of ingredients sourced and foraged from the surrounding Elk Valley.
Full details to be announced. View the 1st Annual Untamed Kootenays Event here:
Guests will have the chance to immerse themselves in mountain culture and cuisine along with an opportunity to explore the area on guided hikes, relax in the spa, and kick back on the patio with exclusive samplings from Fernie Brewing Co. and BC Wine Studio – the winemakers behind the Lodge’s new house wines and bubbles.
Spots are limited for this impressive event – don’t miss your chance to enjoy the finest food and wine in one of the most spectacular spots in Canada!
Limited availability for both accommodation packages and dinner tickets. Call now for more details or to reserve your spot! 1-888-422-8754
Drive through the ancient old growth cedar forest to the apex of the Cedar Valley, and Island Lake Lodge.
Open June 7 – October 7, 2019
Enjoy casual lunches and cocktails on the patio for lunch or gourmet dining in the evening restaurant while the sun sets over the Three Bears. The property is a beautiful wilderness valley with spectacular views and the ultimate in R n’ R. Fernie is the furthest east that the beautiful Old Growth Cedar trees grow.
A number of well-marked trails lead from the lodge. Easier trails at the valley floor include the Rail Trail, Old Growth Trail and Lake & Fir Trails and are suitable for families with younger children. The Tamarack Trail is a short climb and offers beautiful views of the Lodge below, as well as the Three Bears peaks on the Lizard Range to the other side of the valley. Spineback Trail and the Mt Baldy Loop are more challenging trails for experienced hikers through alpine meadows to the upper reaches at the head of the Cedar Valley.
Heiko’s Trail, which ends at Island Lake Lodge, is a spectacular trail crossing 2 mountain passes and includes waterfalls, alpine meadows, and the Bisaro Cave. The hike is a strenuous 10-12 hours and can be done as a day hike or as an overnight wilderness campout. Plan to end at Island Lake Lodge and enjoy a celebration dinner on arrival!
The tranquil lake below the lodge is a welcoming location for fly fishing, kayaking and canoeing (available for rent) and wonderful wildlife viewing options. Moose and deer often visit the area.
The Spa at Island Lake
The Spa is open throughout the summer and offers a full range of relaxation & esthetics treatments plus a relaxing patio & hot tub to enjoy before and after your treatment.
The Bear Patio is open daily throughout the summer for casual lunches and cocktails. The menu includes hand-pressed burgers, salads, seafood and as much local produce as possible.
In the evening, the Ancient Timbers Dining Room is an elegant yet relaxed space with fine dining and 3,000 bottle wine cellar and an open kitchen for glimpses of the culinary action.
Stay a while in one of the beautiful and sublimely relaxing guest rooms. B&B starts from just $159 per night. The three accommodation lodges; Tamarack, Cedar & Red Eagle each offer 8-10 guest rooms plus additional relaxation space and beautiful views. Rooms are designed with tranquillity in mind, pillowy soft bedding, soft accents and no TVs or phones in the rooms. Wifi is available throughout the property.
Island Lake Lodge is one of Fernie’s premier wedding venues, offering a spectacular location with perfect accommodations & dining for smaller weddings.
NB: At certain times during the summer, lodge facilities may be unavailable or restricted due to private functions and events. Please visit the online calendar to determine services available on the date you plan to visit. Hiking trails are always open.
Sample delicious BBQ at the NEW Fernie challenge featuring pro & amateur cooks!
All details being finalised – further information to be announced soon.
Tickets $50: includes samples and 2 drink tickets